Sunday, July 27, 2014

Emergency Bags-Autism and storms, illness, or other catastrophes

The cruelest joke for an ASD family completely dependent on routine is that sometimes, you can't depend on routine.   Emergencies happen, and ASD families have considerations that other families don't have--rarely is a Red Cross Shelter prepared to deal with special needs children during an emergency.  Ready.gov is a great site for basic emergency preparedness, so be sure to start there.  This post lists things that we do that are either above and beyond those suggestions or especially important for our ASD children.

Storm Bags
Storm bags are important no matter where you live, but the necessities will vary from one part of the country to another.   We live in an area where storm usually means we shelter in place, possibly without electricity.   These are the things we keep on hand for storms in addition to the basics.

1.  Melatonin and Benadryl, as well as prescriptions.   I try to keep a small first aid kit packed at all times with at least a week's supply of all prescription medications for the entire family, some cold medicines, the supplements we all take, and benadryl (because at least three of us have allergies that occur suddenly)   If you have anaphylactic allergies in your home, an epi pen should also be part of your emergency supplies.
2.  Glow sticks.   No matter how freaked out my kids are by a lack of electricity, glow sticks make it better.   FYI--most are non-toxic, as we found out when we called poison control because someone used one as a chewy.
3.   Calming objects.  In our house, this includes a soft blanket with at least one tag (taggies blankets aren't favorites, but blankets with a tag are.  Go figure), chew tubes or chewelry, and fidgets.   Everyone self-calms differently, so just make sure you have what your children need.  I also tend to include at least one object they've never wanted before--sometimes, they suddenly want it.
4.  Books, games, toys, art supplies.  A mixture of new and old.   Anything that might keep them entertained in a pinch.
5.   Batteries and battery powered lights (both flashlights and 'fun' lights, like a small disco ball).  
6.   A small supply of favorite foods or candy.  

"Go" bags
These bags are important for people in areas where evacuation is common.  In our area, we tend to use these bags most for emergencies--often an injury or illness that requires a trip to the ER and/or a trip to grandma's house.  

1.  Clean clothes.  Usually, I don't have these packed, but I do keep two empty backpacks in our hall closet so they can be packed quickly.  I have an index card checklist inside each bag, so that it only takes moments to pack even if I'm panicked.   Each card has a name of a family member and a list of what they would need for a single day--shirt, pants, underwear, socks, medication, toiletries.   I can't count the number of times I've grabbed these bags and packed them in 2 minutes or less while my husband was on the phone with 911/our pediatrician/my parents.   We then toss them in the car, pack the kids, meet my parents to drop off whatever children do not need emergency treatment, and then take the injured/ill child on to be treated.   The checklist is very important, less to keep you from forgetting something in an emergency and more to give you something to focus on.
2.   Travel toiletry bags.   I keep a basket of these packed in our bathroom.  The kids' bags have a travel toothbrush, toothpaste, a small bottle of lotion, and a comb.  An extra pair of glasses for my son with glasses.   Our bags have all of that plus deodorant, hair ties, and a brush for me, as well as a few other personal toiletries.  Whether we are going on a planned trip or have an emergency, I just grab a toiletry bag for each person and off we go.   This is a great use for free samples, too--one of those flat samples of shampoo and conditioner takes up almost no room in the toiletry bag and feels so much better than hospital or hotel shampoo.   I use zippered toiletry bags, but ziplock bags work just as well.
3.  Important paperwork.   I keep three sets of information, and I use large plastic envelopes to store it in.   I have an envelope with copies of medical documentation--insurance cards, a list with name, birth date, contact info for primary physician, and all current medications, diagnoses, and treatment providers.  I also note on this list anything important that a provider should know if I'm not conscious to tell them--such as that one of my sons has an auditory processing problem and will answer 'yes' to nearly any question, or that I have a life-threatening allergy to penicillin.   My second envelope has copies of our identity information--birth certificates, social security cards, drivers licenses, marriage license, passports.   We have thankfully never had to use this one, but it's available if we do.   I store it in a safe and I have copies at my parents' house as well.   Another envelope contains financial information--bank accounts, credit cards, insurance policies.   It would be a good idea to include all of these things in a safety deposit box as well as a safe place inside your home.   Most of this paperwork is included on the ready.gov suggestions list, but I find that it's even more important for children who can't communicate well.  
4.  Some cash, change, and an emergency credit card.

In the car
These are things I keep in our car, both for emergencies and daily incidents.

1.   The envelope of medical information I mentioned above.   Everything a provider should need to treat my child is included, so even if I am unavailable my child can still be safely treated.
2.   Clean clothes, for everyone.   Spilled drinks, illness, an attempted elopement that leaves both child and parent covered in mud--all can and have happened.   Sometimes being able to put on a clean shirt is all that stands between me and a meltdown of my own.  
3.   Snacks.  My minivan has a drawer under the passenger seat.  I keep graham crackers, peanuts, granola bars, and similar snacks in there.   We spend a LOT of time in the car and it's nice to be able to grab a snack instead of takeout.
4.   Blankets.   Even in summer, my boys use blankets as comfort objects.   Beach towels are a great substitute.  
5.   An emergency key.   Fun fact:   almost any police or fire department can open a locked car door, but a trunk requires a locksmith.   Due to anti-theft systems, most engine keys now require a trip to the dealership.  If your keys are locked in your trunk, thrown into a duck pond, or just missing at the bottom of your purse and you can't get them because you have a child in meltdown in your arms, an extra engine key may save you hours.   (I also find those coil-bracelet keychains that many bartenders use very useful--my keys are rarely lost when we are out because they're on my wrist or arm)



     

No comments:

Post a Comment